Sunday, January 24, 2010

Women in Fiber show at Marietta College

Three art quilts created by local artist June Baker are on display in the “Women in Fiber” show at Marietta College. June is one of 8 quilters highlighted in the show which is open to the public until February 21st in the Hermann Fine Arts Gallery. This exhibit is presented in conjunction with the “Quilters” musical production by the Theater and Musical Departments which begins on February 4th.

June's quilts are also available at Main Street Crafters & Artisans in Harrisville.

Monday, November 23, 2009

Meadow Flowers

I cut flower shapes from purple fabric.  I cut centers from redish-brown fabric.  I followed the shapes of the petals and with straight stitches sewed back and forth starting with the darkest color of thread then medium color and then the lightest thread.  I embroidered around the petals for a more finished look.  I zigzagged the redish-brown shapes in place on the machine.  I cut out the 3 purple flowers and appliqued them to a 16 x 26 inch hand-dyed fabric.  I cut out the red shapes and fused them in place... also the green leaves.


I then added leaves to the red flowers.

Looking at the piece, I decided the background was to light -- needed some dark and medium tones, so I got out my fabric paints and added 2 more leaves.


Started sewing down the red flowers and all the leaves following their shapes with a stabilizing fabric pinned in place to the back of the piece.  All red flowers have been sewn down... will add more stitches in a lighter shade of red or real light lavender.  Green leaves -- I put a little piece of batten under and turned-over parts of 4 leaves.  I also darken the background in a couple of places.

I'm making the stems by wrapping fabric around yarn and stitching it... then I will stitch it to the background making it curve like a vine.  I add lavender threads to the red flowers and embroidery the stems from leaves to the stems of purple flowers.

I removed the dark green leaves from the red flowers -- I wanted the flowers to look taller.

Looks muddy; needs change.  Needs lots of little flowers.

I painted more.  I added printed flowers.

Quilted.  Binding is done with yarn zigzagged on.

Monday, November 16, 2009


I painted the iris with oil pastels (this was later pressed to set) then outlined the flowers, leaves, and buds with a dark purple thread.

I wrote "The beauty of a flower lingers in our hearts" with a Pigma pen and ironed to set it.

Here are the fabrics I decided to use for borders around the painted iris. These fabrics enhance the colors in the iris and the background.

All sewn together.

I made corrections. I wanted just the tip of the 3rd petal to show, so I painted it and stitched around it.

Quilted and used yarn for the binding.